picking through the cacophony

intermittent rants and some keepers

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Everything your heart desires

Happy Lunar New Year!

It was a pleasant day out in London today. The sun was warming up the mildly chilly morning as I headed out of the apartment to the hair maestros, with MK's Slowness in hand and a clean new look in mind. I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination so whenever I do get out of bed earlier and make it past the first hour or so, a smile stretches across my face. It could be the fact that I have gained a few extra hours on the day and can check a few more things off my list of things to do; or it could be the sweeter morning air, rid of the pollutants of the night before and only slowly accumulating some of the new day's unwanted discharges. Which is quite curious because the air in the morning does seem sweeter even though it should not really be any fresher here in London. I think it seems so because the people who do notice it are armed with something else. In a city where the masses congregate and disperse in regulated patterns, it might be the simple break from the ordinary that lends the air of being extraordinary. Of course, extraordinariness is not so simply bestowed but knowing that "we could all do with a few more hours of sleep", the fact that these people are out on the streets is already noteworthy.

Because of motivations, both personal or external, these few have had to break ranks from the herd. To make it out on the streets is to be on their ways and this is revealing of this person's fibre. It tells of a sense of purpose to this person's day and for those who share in it - and it can only be the similarly selected few who are around and able to do so - to steel them against the fresh morning chill not with the comforting warmth of the congregated herd but with the pride of the purposeful few. There are things to be done and I am going to do it.

So whenever I am able to join this group of people, I sense it and I am glad I made it that day for the ride. I might be slightly vicarious here but I gain from knowing that there is a solidarity of the purposeful and I can find solace in them whenever I try. Personally, I think it's purely down to winning my first personal battle of the day that does it for me. I think this because be it a Saturday morning when I'm out of bed and out of the house before noon and running errands or arriving in the office on a Monday morning earlier than 99% of the office, I feel that extra lift that a bounce in my steps gives.

So during this year of the (Golden) Pig, I want to remember these little mind games of mine and may I keep winning these personal battles and come out at the other end a better man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home